Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 141: Is ADD Real?

 describe the image














Is ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) Real?

Yes. ADD is a real, actual physical experience of limitation. In 1982, I became aware that 'something was missing' when learning fractions in the 4th grade and I could physically feel that my brain was not making the connections required to comprehend the material. In addition to not being able to make connections, I also had other behavioral issues such as: being 'off in the clouds', being disruptive at home and in-class, being 'out-of-control', impulsive, and aggressive. When I was a child, Psychologists had not yet started diagnosing anyone with ADD - in-fact, I was not diagnosed until I was 20 years old. So as I was growing up and being educated, the adults in my world were frustrated and so I was almost always in some sort of trouble. I was the kid in school who was often sent out of the classroom and made to sit in the hallway.

Unfortunately, my learning process was difficult to understand as those in my immediate environment were fast learners that excelled in school. And to make matters worse, my report cards often said something similar to: Carrie is intelligent and she could do so much better if she would apply herself.

I'm certain there are many that can relate to the report card.

Anyway, in my next blog I'll be going into the different therapies that I tried throughout the years as well as their effectiveness. And after that, showing how the way that I manage my living did not change until I began studying Eqafe learning materials, working on the Desteni 'I' Process courses, and participating with a group that is taking responsibility for themselves.

Relative Power Z-Score Maps from Quantitative Electroencephalography (QEEG)




Differences in activity in normal and ADD children
The brain maps on the left (1&2) are of normal individuals: a 14 year old female and 9 year old male. The ones on the right (3&4) are ADD individuals: a different 14 year old female and a different 9 year old male. Notice how the two ADD individuals (3&4) demonstrate high (more red) Theta and Alpha activity in their maps than do the normal individuals, respectively. High Theta wave activity is generally associated with drowsiness; High Alpha activity is generally associated with idleness. The ADD results (3&4) are characteristic of states of non-attentiveness, and too little stimulation of the reticular activating system, and probable inadequate number of connections. Thus the ADD/LD child can effectively "tune-out" his/her environment. In contrast, the normal children's results of low Alpha and Theta wave activity (1&2) are characteristic of alertness and focused attentiveness, demonstrating adequate stimulation of the reticular activating system, and thus, an adequate number of neural connections.

 (http://www.drugfreeadd.com/default/index.cfm/our-programs/add-adhd/medical-evidence/)





No comments:

Post a Comment